"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells." -Dr. Seuss

Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

In Which I Create a Useful Gift for a Sweet Lady

I learned to sew from my granny. She taught and is still teaching me everything she knows... which is A LOT! She used to make everything you could imagine, until she got cancer and lost a lot of feeling in her hands. Luckily, her last PET scan showed no signs of cancer, so she has to finish this round of chemo, take a scan, and if that scan is clean, she's in remission! Thank God for miracles... she was in stage 4 lung cancer. Anyway, the chemo makes her extremities cold... and hurt. Her hands are freezing all the time, but gloves hurt her... kind of a rock and hard place situation. So, being the brilliant mind that I am (hahaha, yeah, right!), I decided I was going to fix this. I didn't know how, but I knew I was going to... and that's just what I did. I came up with this little design here:



It's a hand warmer. Probably not the best name, or the best way to do it, but it works. The two little pink pouches in front are filled with rice... just pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, and they will hold their heat for a little while. The hand warmer is made with a double layer of soft fleece inside. Stick the rice pouch in the middle of the hand warmer, insert hands and voila! Heat without pain! It looked a little plain though, so I added a little hot pink chiffon flower with pearls in the middle:



I wrapped it up in pretty pink tissue paper (Can you tell, I adore pink... don't worry, she does too):



and took it to her this afternoon. She was happy to have it and even happier I stopped by for a visit... she's so sweet, she even agreed to pose for a picture.



She's not smiling in this one, but the other one was a little blurry. She has a beautiful smile.
And so was the best Sunday I've had in a while. Lovely.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a lovely thing for you to do. I miss my mammaw something fierce and can't wait to see her again in heaven.

    ReplyDelete