"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells." -Dr. Seuss

Pages

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentines Day, Schmalentine's Day

I dislike Valentine's Day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those bitter single people that are hell-bent on destroying the holiday simply because I don't have anyone to share it with. I actually enjoyed my singleness, I got to the point where I was content being alone, having faith that real love would happen for me when I was truly ready for it. That being said, is love real when it's forced or expected? I don't think so. Not for me, anyway. I think if you need a holiday to show someone you care for them, your relationship is in trouble. That, or you are lazy. Either is unacceptable for lasting happiness in love. I firmly believe that little acts of love are more important than grand gestures, and things that are done because of expectations don't mean anything at all. I would much rather find an "I love you" post it on a Monday than flowers on Valentine's Day. Well, unless the flowers are gerber daisies. Pink gerber daisies. Or cala lillies. But, I digress. The point is, love isn't about the expected. It's about the unexpected, the desire to show the one you love how much they mean to you, not running to the store for flowers because that's what you feel like you are suppossed to do. Love is precious, and should be celebrated everyday, because everyday with someone you love is a beautiful gift, not to be taken for granted. I don't believe in Valentine's Day because it puts too much emphasis on only one day to celebrate love, when I think this should be a constant thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment